Museo Sugbo

Museo Sugbo

 

Museo Sugbo is housed at what was once called Cárcel de Cebú, the provincial jail of Cebu.

Designed in 1869 by Domingo de Escondrillas, the lone architect in Cebu at the time, the Cárcel de Cebú was originally proposed as the Carcel del Distrito, the main prison for the Visayas District. This accounts for its relatively large size at the time it was built. It is believed that most of the coral stone blocks from the Parian Church–which was demolished in 1878 after the Bishop of Cebu won a long-drawn court case against its parishioners in the 1850s–were used to build parts of the Cárcel.